Wednesday, May 20, 2009

X-men Origins: Wolverine.....riding the waves


What’s happening man? Today I did not attend any of my classes, or even enter the USP for that matter, but in my defence, since this blog is for my class assignment, and it is a blog on movie reviews, I didn’t watch a movie today, I was working on an assignment. My day kicked off at 7 this morning, thanks to my neighbour’s dog making it perfectly clear, that yes indeed, a dog’s bark is worse than its bite! After the very rude awakening, I got up and decided that I was not going to classes today, but instead take a “mental health” day off and watch a movie. I was in the city at around 9am and I have to admit, had quite the uneventful/normal day. It is now 7:45 pm I’m tired, hungry and in dying need for a beer, but that’s another story all together.
I came to realise many things today. One, that there is no decent place in Suva to get a good breakfast, unless you’re willing to sell and arm and a leg. Two, for some reason shop owners insist on chucking buckets of water out in front of their shop first thing in the morning and go about doing so, like it’s the most normal thing in the world and three village 6 only sells salty pop corn, what if I wanted some sweet pop corn or colourful ones?
But anyway, after a very horrible breakfast from this place in MHCC, cold water on my feet courtesy of that shop keeper in the little street alongside Jacks, I walked into Village 6, ordered a small box of very salty popcorn and a Kerri apple juice, then took my place in the very empty cinema 4 waiting on my movie, X-Men Origins: Wolverine!
I am a huge fan of the X-men series, and it’s not because I had every single comic book when I was younger or, that I was the champion of the X-men game at FunScape or anything like that, it’s just that, and I say this on behalf of every other male species on this planet, Halle Berry in tights, is just too much, not be a fan of. To my understanding, there is an X-men, its sequel and a prequel and because all three movies were super successful, they decided to make even more money off us, by having spin-offs and I THINK (don’t take my word for this) but X-men Origins: Wolverine is actually the first of three.
Now the movie itself was great, but before I go on, I have to admit, I was one of those “eager-beavers” that could not wait for it to come out and got a copy of its un-edited and unfinished version and sat through the whole movie, laughing my ass off, at the strings and the very primary graphics! But like I said the movie was excellent, Hugh Jackman reprised his role as the wolverine (because he doesn’t age DOH!!), Scarlett Johanssens main squeeze “what’s his face” was in the movie as well, the cool guy from Friday Night Lights, the Black Eyed Peas’ Will.I.AM and a couple other famous people, made up an exceptionally well mashed cast that looked great on camera!
The plot of the movie is very interesting, it showed us who exactly the Wolverine is, how he got his name and from whom, how he loved and lost and loved and lost again, and then just lost his memory altogether. It introduced us to characters that were not included in the previous X-men instalments, like Gambit and Stryker and also developed Sabertooth’s character abit more than they did in X-men part 1. Graphics and special effects played a very important role in this movie, trust me, I saw the movie pre- touch ups and post- touch ups and the latter is definitely easier on the eye! Watching a three way battle between Wolverine, Sabertooth and Ryan Reynolds “Experiment 11” was off the hinges, amazing! The choreography involved in every move, could be appreciated by the trained as well as the untrained eye and, even the blind!!! I shit you not! But you have to see it for yourself to know what I’m going on about!
Another thing that sort of surprised me in this movie was the level of “darkness” in it. I mean, after The Batman’s the Dark Knight, raised the standards of what superhero movies should be (Incredible performance of the very evil Joker by the late Heath Ledgar), I don’t blame the producers of this movie, riding with the waves here and taking time to create a chance of a relationship between the audience and the usually, pre-assumed “evil” villains.
When I refer to the, level of darkness in this movie, what I mean is, that the makers of this movie are making us desensitise what are villain should be or actually is, by telling us why, the particular villain is evil. Take Sabertooth, for example, his character is one I think about 50 percent of the audience could relate to. He’s father died right in front of his eyes and he was forced to bring up the very person that was responsible for his death. On top of that, the person that killed his father was in fact, (insert Shortland Street or other dramatic theme here), his brother! Then to add insult to injury, he spends the rest of his life, trying to prove to people and others that played father figures in his life (Stryker) that he was just as good as his kid brother. Now, I don’t know about you, but the unhygienic Sabertooth, had it pretty rough. Dad dying at a young age and being on the losing end of sibling rivalries, not cool at all.
What I think the producers of this movie successfully got away with, was making villains in this movie, more relatable and sympathising to the audience by developing their character from a hub that can seem applicable to the audiences’ perception of reality, rather than the usual good old fashioned “I’m evil and I’m going to kill you, hate me for that” type of villain.
(Don’t take me too seriously here dude, I’m just babbling! and p.s if this makes sense to you, pat yourself on the back )
Anyway, enough of my BS, I have to get a beer! But if you do have the time, suss out this movie, it is excellent!!!!
My rating would be a 3.5 out of 5 and a “whole cinema experience” type of viewing, unless of course you do find a DVD copy that has been properly and fully edited already!
X-Men Origins: Wolverine..........LEGENDARY!!!!!!!

=======================================================================


TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES
Domestic:
$153,486,284
55.5%
+ Foreign:
$123,056,170
44.5%
= Worldwide:
$276,542,454


DOMESTIC SUMMARY
Opening Weekend:
$85,058,003
(#1 rank, 4,099 theaters, $20,751 average)
% of Total Gross:
55.4%
> View All 3 Weekends
Widest Release:
4,102 theaters
In Release:
19 days / 2.7 weeks
=======================================================================
5. list of cast

Hugh Jackman
...
Logan / Wolverine

Liev Schreiber
...
Victor Creed / Sabretooth

Danny Huston
...
William Stryker

Will i Am
...
John Wraith

Lynn Collins
...
Kayla Silverfox

Kevin Durand
...
Frederick J. Dukes / The Blob

Dominic Monaghan
...
Chris Bradley / Bolt

Taylor Kitsch
...
Remy LeBeau / Gambit

Daniel Henney
...
David North / Agent Zero

Ryan Reynolds
...
Wade Wilson

Scott Adkins
...
Weapon XI

Tim Pocock
...
Scott Summers
======================================================================= link to possible spin offs

http://screenrant.com/xmen-spinoffs-deadpool-storm-gambit-rogue-rob-7360/

4 comments:

  1. bro this is quite alot of info u got man very interesting...
    tell u wat, u shud watch that movie hulk vs. wolverine its quite similar to this but only diference is that apart from the guys that proded wolverine, hulk also gets on his nerve, so yea will get that movie to u guys asap...

    ReplyDelete
  2. sure man sounds like a plan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, this was not as good as part one and two. I enjoyed it though but with a critical eye...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i made the biggest mistake of watching the f**ken unedited version first...it spoiled everything when i eventually saw the movie at village 6! lmao.

    but yeah man, i prefer this movie than to the x-men trilogy!

    and yeah got hella lot of info!

    ReplyDelete